Hi, my name is Mehek from Pakistani Food Blog and I will be guest blogging for this post to add some Pakistani into a Mediterranean recipe. This recipe makes one of my favorite foods, Gyros, and these are commonly made within Pakistani cultures as well as Arab cultures. It is a food that is not very easy to make, but not extremely complicated either. You basically have to apply the concept; Practice makes perfect. Although, once you get the hang of it you will never regret making the gyros, they are absolutely delicious! Let's get started.
- 2 pounds of beef sirloin, cut into quarter inch slices.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbls sugar
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sour cream
- Chopped cuccumbers
- Onions chopped (optional)
- Tomatoes chopped (Optional)
- 8 pita breads (halved)
1. Blend garlic, sugar, ginger, pepper and cayenne pepper until processed. Add water and soy sauce, and blend again.
2. In a plastic zip lock, add the mixture with the beef, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. For the second sauce, blend the cucumber, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt in a food processor.
4. Add in the sour cream to the second sauce, by hand.
5. Take out extra sauce from beef, and grill the beef (covered), until it is medium-rare.
6. Place beef in pita halves,
7. Add cucumber sauce on top of the beef generously. Remember, this cucumber sauce makes or breaks the entire gyros!
8. Add optional tomatoes and/or onions.
9. Close up the pita halves, and enjoy your Gyros!